Whether it is your first time going through the daunting process of finding a new apartment or you are an experienced renter, contacting the landlord is one of the most difficult, yet important things to do in order to find your perfect new home.
While there are several apartment ads that advertise a phone number, nowadays it is more and more common for landlords to list their contact emails in order to arrange a visit, that is why we decided to create a complete guide to help you to inquire about an apartment via email
Step by step guide to inquire about an apartment via email
This is your big opportunity to make a great first impression with your landlord so don’t waste the chance and introduce yourself properly. Obviously, the person renting the apartment wants to make sure that the new renter will be able to pay the rent on time and take care of the installations, so this first contact is a great time to tell more about who you are, where you work and highlight how responsible you are.
02. Ask the most important questions and leave the rest for later
The proper time to clear all your doubts about the property is during the showcase date. However, when inquiring about an apartment via mail some questions that you might have can be a deal-breaker, so it is important to address these issues before scheduling an appointment, so neither of you wastes your time if the place is not the right fit for you.
To make clear my point, here are 3 quick examples that can help you decide whether a question is important or should wait until the apartment showcase date:
- Are utilities included in the rent price?: if you are not sure about this and the price of the rental is on the high side of your budget, you should be asking it right away to make sure that you can afford the place with its utilities. What is the point of falling in love with an apartment that you won’t have?
- Can I move in with my pet?: If you planning to move in with your furry friend this is the first question you need to ask before anything else, unless you are willing to leave your little friend at your parent’s house or with a friend.
- Is there any application fee that I should pay?: application fees are usually charged in order to cover the costs of making background and credit checks around the applicant. Once again there is no point in wasting time with an apartment that you can’t afford. If you are in a really tight budget and paying an application fee is definitely not an option for you then consider asking this before anything else.
03. Schedule an apartment viewing appointment
Don’t forget that the ultimate goal of inquiring for an apartment is to schedule a date to visit it, in order to do so, you can’t end your email without trying to secure this. Sometimes you will notice that the landlord schedules an open day where several people come into the apartment to check it out and sometimes you will have the place just for you, either way, it is important to ask about how is he handling the apartment showcase and make sure to let him know that you are interested in checking it out.
04. Leave your contact information
While this sounds obvious, it is that obvious that some people fail at this part simply because they forget about it. Make sure to include your telephone and, if you won’t be able to attend calls during a specific period let him know about it.
05. Close the email with a friendly goodbye
Again, this is your first and most important opportunity to make you look good so don’t forget to close the email inquire with a polite and friendly goodbye.
Examples on how to write a good rental application via email
Template 01 – how to simply enquire about an apartment via mail
My name is Rebecca Stinson and I am a 25 years old lawyer interested in renting the 1901 Franklin Ave apartment listed on xxx.com for $2500. I work full time at xxxx and thankfully my I am totally capable of paying rent through my job so I am searching for a nice apartment to relax after a busy day, and I think your listed place might be what I am looking for.
If you are planning an open day for the apartment I would love to stop by and check it out. If not, let me know if we can set an appointment to know each other more.
I am looking forward to hearing from you,
Have a nice day!
Rebecca – contact number: 1234567
Template 02 – how to ask for a pet-friendly rental property
I am Rebecca Stinson, I work full time at XXXX and I am searching for a peaceful apartment to share with Hugo, my dog. I saw the 1901 Franklin Ave apartment listed on xxx.com and I think it is the right place for us, but I was wondering if it is a pet friendly property. Hugo is a well-trained labrador and I have been taking care of him for years, so you must not expect any trouble from us.
If you can confirm that the unit is pet friendly, I would love to check the apartment out and tell you more about me in person. Do you think we can schedule an appointment? I am available from 8.00 to 9.00 during weekdays and I have flexible hours on Saturday, so I am sure we will be able to find a time that suits well for both of us.
Looking forward to hearing more from you,
Rebecca – contact number: 123456
Template 03 – how to ask several questions when inquiring about an apartment via email
I am Rebecca Stinson, a graduated law student from New Jersey looking for her first apartment. My ideal home is a place where I can relax on weekends and enjoy cooking a nice meal with a glass of wine so when I saw your 1901 Franklin Ave property listed on xxx.com for $2500 I immediately thought that it might be the place I have searching for, I can even picture myself watching a movie in that cozy living room!. Thanks to my job in xxx and the financial support of my parents, I am capable to pay your listed price so I would like to know more about the following:
– Is renters insurance required to move in?
– What is the police for subletting?, I often travel due to work and I would love to know if subletting the apartment to trusted friends is an option
I would love to set an appointment to check out the apartment and get to know each other more. Except for Mondays where I work full time, I have a flexible work schedule so you can call me at 123456 to arrange a meeting, I am sure we will find a time slot that works for both of us!
I am excited to hear more from you,
If you need more help to communicate with your landlord and inquire about an apartment without email, the Tenant Resource & Advisory Center of Canada has put together a great resource page with templates that can help you in different situations, we recommend you to check it out.
Tips to inquire about an apartment via email
- Make sure to include the address and listing price of the apartment in your email. If you are sending many inquires this will help you to recognize more easily who got back at you, and if the landlord is in charge of many listings this will help him too.
- Mention your preferred times for the apartment tour so you don’t waste time going back and forward to pick a date.
- Once the landlord gets back at you and you set an appointment, ask him to send you the application documents so you can go to the apartment tour ready to apply. If you fall in love with the apartment and there are several applicants, this will win you some time and chances of getting the place.
Now that you know how to inquire about an apartment via email and make the first contact with your landlord, it is time to look for that perfect apartment and start sending your email enquires. May the odds be ever in your favor!
Once you get your dream apartment, our guide to furnish an apartment under $1000 can help you to decorate your home on a budget.